A Beloit man succumbs to injuries he sustained when his rental home exploded.
The Rock County Corner's Office confirmed Thursday that the preliminary cause of death for 37-year-old Todd Purdy was burn injuries and smoke inhalation.
The Beloit Fire Department responded to the natural gas explosion at a home on the 2000 block of Meredith Drive on Sunday evening.
37-year-old Todd Purdy, and his wife 33-year-year-old Tara had to be extricated from the collapsed house.
Todd was flown to the UW hospital by helicopter with second and third degree burns, while Tara was taken to a Janesville hospital and later the University Hospital with minor scrapes, bruises and burns.
Fire officials say the explosion was caused by an uncapped gas line, which the couple failed to notice when they installed a new stove that day.