A residential fire in Beloit is chillingly familiar.
Shortly before 8:30 on Saturday morning the Beloit Fire Dpartment was dispatched to a single family residence on Highland Avenue. Crews were able to contain the fire to a second floor bedroom within minutes, although much of the home sustained heavy smoke damage.
According to Deputy Fire Chief Joe Murray, a six year old child started the fire by playing with matches on a bed in a second floor bedroom.
On July 8th the Beloit Fire Department responded to a residential fire on the 2000 block of Lennoz Avenue which was also caused by kid playing with matches in a bedroom.
Beloit Fire officials hopes these two incidents serve as a reminder for parents to keep lighter and matches out of reach from children, and to enroll their child in the juvenile fire setter program if they see that type of behavior.