Jail inmates ingest jimsonweed
A handful of Rock County Jail inmates are taken to the hospital after ingesting a plant they found on the Sheriff's Office property.
On March 31, 2014, at approximately 11:00 p.m., Correctional Staff discovered an inmate who was acting strange in a Jail housing unit. The inmate was immediately examined by Jail medical staff. Preliminary investigation by Jail Staff revealed that six inmates had ingested jimsonweed.
Commander Erik Chellevold says jimsonweed is a common plant that can cause hallucinations, as well as overdose and death.
The inmates apparently found the plant while they were doing community service outside. Chellevold says correctional officers located where they found the plant and removed the rest of it from the property.
The six inmates were transported by Deputies to Mercy Hospital where they were admitted for treatment and medical observation.
A shakedown of the inmate housing unit did not result in locating any jimsonweed. Detectives are conducting further investigation into this incident to determine if any illegal activity occurred and if this was deliberate or accidental.