Sprinkler system protects Janesville apartment building from fire

A major fire at a Janesville apartment building is avoided thanks to a working sprinkler system.

The Janesville Fire Department says firefighters were dispatched to a multi-family residence on the 200 block of North Franklin Street just before 9:30 Wednesday night.

Captain John McManus says a basket of clothing started on fire in a closet when the sprinklers kicked in and doused the flames.

McManus said the fire could have caused a lot of destruction had the sprinklers not worked. He estimated the building had about $1,000 in water damage from the sprinkler system.

About 10 to 12 people were displaced. The Red Cross helped the residents find overnight shelter.

The fire remains under investigation.